Thursday, February 18, 2010

Will You Accept This Rose?


Let me just preface this by saying, we should have known when they sat us on the same side of the booth that this was not "our kind of place"....no disrespect for all of you that sit on the same side as your date, it's just not something we do....until our date on Sunday.



Jeffrey and I went out for Valentine's Day to a restaurant (which shall remain nameless) that we had heard was really nice. He knew that I had wanted to go there for a while so he called and made reservations for Sunday night. When we got to the restaurant, we were seated in this HUGE booth and they had both places set on the same side of the table....so of course, we had to sit side-by-side. I don't think I stopped laughing the entire time. I don't know why, it was just so funny to me to be sitting right beside Jeffrey in this humongous booth.

The menu had the choice of either a five course meal or a three course meal.
We knew we were in trouble when we couldn't even figure out what the five courses could be!


At the risk of sounding totally redneck, we made the mistake of assuming that "amusé" was part of the entertainment....little did we know, it was one of the courses! ha!! Of course we both smiled and acted genuinely interested as though we were seriously considering ordering this "amusé" while the waitress was describing this delicious dish consisting of CHICKEN LIVER PÂTÉ! That's right.....chicken. liver. pâté. (and for those of you that don't know...it's pronounced "pa-tay" not "pay-t" or even "pat-ee")


I'll give you a moment to digest that.


Shortly after, we decided upon the three course meal, because we knew that neither one of us had an affinity for livers. or pâtés. or amusé....


I ordered the Caesar salad for my first course and Jeffrey ordered some kind of tuna (which was basically his only other choice since he doesn't eat salad). When our dishes came out, we thought that Jeffrey's had some sort of red sauce on it....um, no. It was actually just a raw dish....


I ate the croutons off my salad and Jeffrey pushed his tuna around his plate as I begged him not to even try it....we all know how I feel about food poisoning.


While we were "eating" our first course, the hostess came around and put a rose on the table (they were giving these out to all the ladies). I felt like I was on an episode of The Bachelor trying to win the rose on our date! We laughed so hard again and Jeffrey decided to let the rose stay on the table so I could be reminded of the intense pressure of the whole date! (I'm sure everyone there thought we were really classy at this point). I also think Jeffrey was wishing someone would come out and give us the note about the overnight stay in a fantasy suite - ha! :)



As I anxiously stared at the rose, our steaks arrived. Now, a good steak is one of my most favorite foods. Let me tell you, I had high hopes for this entree, but again, I was sorely disappointed. Jeffrey even asked the waitress if there was any Heinz 57... she looked pretty shocked when he asked and then she told us that they didn't have any kind of steak sauce in the entire restaurant! Next thing you know, the CHEF came out to make sure everything was okay. I think he even said something like, "....she said you hadn't even touched your steaks....just wanted to make sure it was okay!" We were so embarrassed.


Finally, it was time for our third course...dessert! You can't mess that up....or so I thought! Jeffrey was supposed to have an apple strudel with vanilla ice cream and I was supposed to have a chocolate tort with hot chocolate sauce. Well, his strudel was ice cream-less and my tort was FROZEN.....no hot chocolate sauce in sight. We were seriously in shock!

Let's just say, we won't be going back there anytime soon. But, on the positive side....we had a GREAT time. We laughed...A LOT! We made some fun memories. There was a live piano bar and they played the song that we danced to at the Prom (KCi and JoJo..."All My Life" ha ha!!).

And the best part of all....he offered me the rose at the end of the date!
Of course I accepted it and then we went home to spend some time with our other sweet 'lil Valentine!! :0)









blog comments powered by Disqus